Important Student Speaker Information
As high school students are getting ready to head back to school this fall, we Lions need to be ramping up for the upcoming Student Speaker Contest. With your help, I know this year’s contest will be a huge success.
Below are some preliminary information, action items, and deadlines regarding the Student Speaker Contest:
Official Contest Topic:
Community Service – What does it mean and why does it matter?
- Prior to 9/1/13, please appoint a Student Speaker Contest Chairperson for your club if you have not already done so. Then, email his/her name, email address, and phone number to your Zone and Region Chairs and cc me at email@example.com
- Prior to 10/1/13, please order a Student Speaker Contest packet by visiting http://md4lions.org/, http://md4lions.org/StudentSpeakerPacket or by contacting the MD4 administrative office at 800-546-6634. IMPORTANT: Please note that there will be a charge of $15/packet for orders placed on or after 10/1/13. Upon receipt, please read the packet in its entirety TWICE. Also, be sure to review additional information in the Student Speaker Contest Library found on the site: Username: md4student, Password: md4speaker Note: Please do not share username and password with anyone who is not part of the Lions Club.
- Prior to 11/1/13, please set a club contest date and confirm a venue. The club contest must take place on or before 2/23/14. Be sure to adhere to all contest rules outlined in packets. Communicate the date and venue information via email to your Zone and Region Chairs and cc me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Speaker Contest Completion Deadlines:
- Club Contests completed on or before 2/23/14
- Zone Contests completed on or before 3/16/14
- Region Contests completed on or before 4/6/14
- District Contests completed on or before 5/4/14 (but not on or between 4/24/14-4/28/14)
- Area Contests completed on or before 6/1/14
- Final Contest will be held on 6/7/14 at the Council of Governors Meeting (location to be determined)
As you know, the Student Speaker Contest allows our youth to express their views on important issues in our communities, while affording them the opportunity to earn scholarships to help pay for higher education. This year the Lions Fourth District Student Speaker Foundation will provide scholarships totaling $103,500.00. From this amount, each of the fifteen District winners will receive a $4,500.00 scholarship, each of the four Area winners will receive an additional $6,500.00 scholarship and the winner of the Multiple District Four Contest will receive an additional $10,000.00 scholarship. For additional information, including how to donate to the Lions Fourth Student Speaker Foundation, please visit http://ssf.md4lions.org/
Thank you in advance for your participation in this year’s Student Speaker Contest. Please don’t hesitate to get in contact with me if you need any assistance. Have a great weekend!
David K. Phung
Ambassador, Children's Hospital L.A. (Vision Center)
District Student Speaker Contest Chair, Lions Club 4L1
Board Member, L.A. Envision Lions Club